Friday, January 19, 2018

Modern with a Twist - Monkey Wrench block

I was recently asked to contribute to the "Modern with a Twist" section of Modern by the Yard e-zine (published quarterly by Benartex). They asked me to come up with a modern take on the "Monkey Wrench" block featuring one of their newest fabric lines. Here is my block:


 I chose the Wave Texture collection designed by Jackie Robinson for my block, and used four shades of purple in the 4 quadrants of the block to create a rippling gradient effect. As you can see - the colors move from light to dark in a clockwise swirl. Pretty - yes?

Ok - block done, now on to my favorite part - designing a quilt with it! Here is my first option, an interesting modernish setting for this block that really shows off the gradated swirls.



I like it, but wanted to play a bit more with the shapes and secondary designs that appear with this block. Hmm ... what if I inverted the original bock to make the gradation run in a counterclockwise swirl - like this:



With that done - it was time to flip and flop and twist and turn these blocks! Check out these two modern (and very very purple) designs. Who knew the "Monkey Wrench" block could create all these very soft and undulating curves? 




So, do you have a favorite? I think I'll be writing a pattern for at least one of these quilts in the near future!

Click here to see the Wave Texture collection on the Benartex webpage.
Click here to see the Modern by the Yard e-zine. 





2 comments:

  1. The color amazing. But I am in love with the second quilt design. To me the first is a modern traditional Monkey Wrench quilt... sorta expected design as the blocks are combined. The next quilt the block sorta disappears and melts in to soft curves and the result is totally unexpected. The third option is also interesting but does not have the "unexpected" feature. I hope you write a pattern for both of these quilts but the middle quilt is a definite favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the third option ... looks very modern to me. A monkey wrench quilt is on my to do list and the third option is what I want to make using this block.

    ReplyDelete